Thursday, April 30, 2009

TiddlyWiki

I was searching for some good DAM (Digital Asset Management) software - more on that later - when I stumbled upon Tiddlywiki, a neat little piece of web software.

From the author's description:

"TiddlyWiki is a single html file which has all the characteristics of a wiki - including all of the content, the functionality (including editing, saving, tagging and searching) and the style sheet. Because it's a single file, it's very portable - you can email it, put it on a web server or share it via a USB stick."

For its size (Current version, 341 KB, empty) it's a pretty powerful little tool, and since it's a single file entirely written in JAVA and HTML, it's very easy to customize - without even getting into the number of plugins available.

I had actually toyed with running a copy of MediaWiki through XAMPP on my laptop, but had been avoiding setting it up, as that's an awful lot of trouble to go to for just making some quick notes. TiddlyWiki, however, fills this need quite nicely, without overdoing things.

I'm now using several TiddlyWiki files to organize code snippets, writing notes, maintain my freqently-used bookmarks page and a few other simliar projects, including writing an interactive user manual.

I've also been using one to organize my stupid joke collection (mouseover for answers):

What is red and smells like blue paint?

What is brown and sticky?

No comments: